Saturday, June 20, 2015

Happening in the garden

We have been getting lots of rain lately. Tropical Storm Bill is finally here today and I cannot wait to see more growth in the garden.

The garden is doing very well. I have been harvesting if not every day or every other day some super sweet sugar snap peas. They are delicious to be eaten raw or sauté lightly with butter, salt and ground black pepper. Yummy!

I managed to snap some pictures last week before storm Bill arrived.  Below is a picture of the tomato plants. Finally, I was able to set up the fence for this yellow tomato. I started the plant from seeds indoor. They are doing well despite having less leaves. I have been trimming the leaves especially the lower leaves. The plant will not get any disease if the lower leaves didn't touch soil. I set up a bucket in the middle to water the deep root.
Here is the picture of my first tomato. They do look healthy. I cannot wait to see them turning yellow.
Beans, beans and rows of beans. Below is the bush beans. They do look great. I cannot wait to see them flowering and producing beans. I love string beans. They are delicious if saute with garlic, butter, salt and pepper. I could eat it just like that.
More beans. But the picture below is the yard long beans. In bahasa it is called Kacang Panjang. I set up the fence for the beans to climb up.
The lemongrass in the picture below has just kicked in. They are looking great. In between the lemongrass is the cucamelon also known as sour gherkin. This is my first year growing this tiny cucumber that supposedly to look like the skin of watermelon. It will be interesting to see them growing. I hope the fence is tall enough for the tendrils to climb.
In one of the raffle drawing, I won these eggplants. I have 4 plants. They are supposedly to be a long Japanese eggplant. In the past, the eggplants usually eaten by the bugs in my garden. I make sure to spray them with some insecticides. I hate to see the plants died. So far these 4 plants are growing very well. They look very healthy. I have to make sure to give some plant food so that they can grow bigger.
Below is a picture of my cucumber. Yes, I am growing tons of cucumber plants. I started them from seed directly sown in the garden. I have seen a few flowers and I think soon I will be getting some cucumbers. I am so excited.
Below is a picture of my broccoli. I am thrill to see the broccoli head started to form. They do look very cute. I must say thanks to the heavy rain. This plant is thriving! The leaves are huge and there are no bugs. Yes! I hate bugs. Bugs could eat the whole plant and leave me with nothing. They are just hungry and very bad creatures. So far, I am very happy with my hard labor in the garden.
The only plant that I see that did not doing well is the kohlrabi. They are tiny and didn't seem to perform. I might have buried their seeds too deep when I sown them in the early spring.
I have a few more patches that I need to weed. The carrot patch need to breath a little. If I let the weed grow bigger, they can choke the carrots.

Unfortunately storm Bill is here. The garden is too wet to work on.
I will wait a few days until the soil is dryer.

Ramadan is here. I am wishing happy fasting to my muslim reader.

Stay tuned for more garden story.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin